TDA Service Company
A Service Company employs Service Technicians to place devices into service or remove out-of-order tags. Devices include scales, liquid measuring devices, and liquid petroleum gas (LPG) measuring devices.
Authority and Responsibilities
Pursuant to the Texas Administrative Code, Title 4, Part 1, Chapter 12, Subchapter E, Rule 12.42, service companies are authorized to perform device maintenance activities. Responsibilities for a service company are to:
- ensure compliance with Texas Administrative Code, Title 4, Part 1, Chapter 12 and that the device is suitable for its intended use.
- submit a prescribed service report within ten days of:
- placing a commercial weighing or measuring device into service;
- installing, calibrating, or repairing a commercial weighing or measuring device; or
- removing an out-of-order tag, stop-sale order, security seal, lock, condemnation notice, or other form of use prohibition placed on a weighing or measuring device by the department
- notify the department in writing within ten days of a change of name, address, or business location;
- provide security seals approved by the department to an individual employed as a service technician; and
- maintain at all times while the service company performs device maintenance activities a current effective operations liability insurance policy issued by an insurance company authorized to do business in this state or by a surplus lines insurer that meets the requirements of Chapter 981, Texas Insurance Code, and rules adopted by the commissioner of insurance in an amount set by the department and based on the type of licensed activities to be performed. General liability coverage including: premises and operations in an amount not less than $25,000 per occurrence; or $50,000 aggregate.
A business that is required to be licensed shall submit an application, RWM-705, fee, copy of the security seal, and a copy of the certification from an approved laboratory certifying their test standards. An up to date copy of a Certificate of Calibration for Test Standards certified by an approved laboratory must be on file with the Department. Failure to do so will result in delay in the application process. See Related Links for application forms.
Service Companies are required to maintain general liability coverage including: premises and operations in an amount not less than $25,000 per occurrence; or $50,000 aggregate. A standard ACORD verification form must be submitted as proof of liability insurance at time of application and renewal via mail or email to:
Texas Department of Agriculture
Click Here to view pdf version of insurance requirements
P.O. Box 1518
Giddings, TX 78942
NIST Handbook 44
Download the current version of Handbook 44
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ENTERING SERVICE REPORTS ONLINE
ONLINE SERVICE REPORTING