Produce Recovery Fund
Skip to content

Produce Recovery Fund
The mission of the Produce Recovery Fund is to reimburse produce growers and dealers who do not receive payment for Texas-grown commodities sold on consignment or credit.

How do I file a claim?
Complete a Verified Complaint Form and get it notarized.
Complete a Claim Questionnaire/Investigation Report.
Q1. How long do I have to file a claim?
Answer: You may file a claim up to two years from the date payment was due.
Q2. I filed a claim. What happens now?
Answer: TDA will investigate and collect evidence. If TDA cannot settle the dispute after the investigation, TDA will schedule a legal hearing before an Administrative Law Judge.
Q3. A produce seller has filed a claim against me. What happens now?
Answer: You should complete a Produce Recovery Claim Questionnaire/Investigation Report and submit it, along with supporting documentation, to a TDA Regional Office.
Q4. TDA decided the claim against me. What can I do?
Answer: Either party may contest a decision. The Produce Recovery Fund Board will hear all contested claims.
Q5. How much of the money owed can I get back?
Answer: You can get back all of the money you are owed up to $50,000 if the buyer of your produce is licensed by TDA. If the buyer does not have a TDA HMPC license, your reimbursement will be 80% of the amount owed up to $50,000, subject to Fund payment caps.
Q6. I am unlicensed, but should be, and I have been orderd to make a payment. What happens if I don't pay?
Answer: If you do not make the required payment to the Fund, TDA will pursue collection through the Texas Office of the Attorney General.