Ag Pesticide Complaint Investigation Procedures
Skip to content

Filing an Ag Pesticide Complaint

The Texas Department of Agriculture is the lead state agency for regulating pesticides. This responsibility includes investigating complaints of alleged pesticide misuse. TDA investigates complaints from any person who believes he or she may have suffered adverse effects from a pesticide application or anyone who believes a violation of the Texas Pesticide Law or related regulations has occurred.

How to File a Complaint

Persons who want to report pesticide exposure or misuse should contact (512) 463-7622 or email TDA may initiate an investigation when notified either orally or in writing.

Copies of the Report

The investigation report is subject to the provisions of the Texas Public Information Act. A copy of the report will be provided to the parties involved upon written request. Requests for reports should reference the TDA Incident Number located on the complaint form and be sent to:

Reports are not available immediately following an investigation. Any samples collected must be analyzed and photographs developed. Interviews with all parties must be conducted before a report can be finalized.

Enforcement Actions

Depending on the result of the investigation, TDA may find that no violation could be documented or is unable to determine the responsible party and close the case without further action.

In the event that a violation can be documented, TDA may issue a warning; assess an administrative penalty; suspend, modify or revoke a license; or refer the case to another appropriate state or federal agency, county attorney, district attorney or Texas attorney general for further action. Monetary penalties collected by the state are deposited to the State's General Revenue Fund and not for the use of TDA.

Other important numbers

Texas State Poison Center 1-800-222-1222

National Pesticide Information Center 1-800-858-7378

To report spills, call the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) at 1-800-832-8224 or (512) 239-2507