Types of Agricultural Licenses
Skip to content

Types of Agricultural Licenses

Private Applicator -- A person who uses or supervises the use of restricted-use or state-limited-use pesticides for the purpose of producing an agricultural commodity on property owned or rented by the person or the person's employer or under the person's general control; or on the property of another person if applied without compensation other than the trading of personal services between producers of agricultural commodities. An agricultural commodity is defined as a plant or animal grown for sale, lease, barter, feed or human consumption and animals raised for farm or ranch work. Private applicator licenses are valid for five years, and the applicator must obtain 15 CEUs during that time to renew.


Private Applicator Certificates -- From 1977 through 1989, TDA issued private applicator certificates (not licenses) under a voluntary program. Private applicators who originally obtained a private applicator certification prior to January 10, 1989, were "grandfathered" by the legislature, meaning the certificate does not expire; however, in 1989 the Texas Pesticide Regulations were revised to require recertification for all applicators, including certified applicators, in order to purchase or use restricted-use or state-limited-use pesticides. The original "grandfathered" certificates had an issue number of 158532 or below. Because of computer advancements, when the original certificate is recertified, the applicator is given a new certificate number. Certified private applicators may not supervise an application of restricted-use or state-limited-use pesticides. Certificate holders must obtain 15 CEUs every five years to keep the certificate valid.


Commercial Applicator -- A person who operates a business or is employed by a business that applies restricted-use or state-limited-use pesticides to the property of another person for hire or compensation. Commercial applicators must renew annually and obtain five CEUs each year.

 Noncommercial Applicator -- A person required to use restricted-use or state-limited-use pesticides but who is not a private applicator or commercial applicator. Noncommercial applicators are generally government employees who apply restricted-use or state-limited-use pesticides in the course of their employment or persons employed by businesses applying such pesticides on their own property. Noncommercial applicators must renew annually and obtain five CEUs each year.

Vector Control licensing
Effective Sept. 1, 2009, TDA assumed the duties of licensing for health-related pest control (mosquito control); duties formerly conducted by the DSHS. This change occurred through HB 1530, which made these changes to Chapter 76, the Agriculture Code.  Persons wishing to licenses in health-related pest control will be subject to licensing under the Ag Code and subsequent regulations in the Vector Control Category.