School IPM FAQs
Skip to content

School IPM FAQs
Who must maintain the use records when a commercial certified applicator, technician or apprentice performs a treatment?
Answer: A copy of the records must be maintained by the business licensee and the IPM coordinator. Section 7.202 of the regulations specifies the items that must be maintained.
Do other states have similar school regulations in place?
Answer: Many other states have established programs as well. For more information, go to the IFAS school IPM information source:
Have pesticide lists been developed for the green list, yellow list, and red list?
Answer: No official list has been developed. However, the Texas Administrative Code Regulations for the Texas Department of Agriculture/Structural Pest Control Service, section 7.204 (6) (A), (B), (C) explains how to determine the use, status and restrictions for pesticides used on school property.
What are the qualifications for an IPM coordinator?
Answer: Each school district must designate an IPM coordinator. The IPM coordinator must attend a SPCS approved training course within 6 months of being designated. Section 7.202 of the SPCS Regulations explains all the IPM responsibilities.
Do you have samples or guidelines for the schools to follow when they develop a district IPM policy?
Answer: Sample IPM policy statement and IPM plan

You may tailor these examples to meet your school district requirements. The Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) also has sample IPM policy guidelines available for your use. For more information, contact your TASB representative at (800) 580-8272.
Other IPM  Coordinator Responsibilities
  • Maintain the record for an incidental use treatment performed by a school employee.
  • Provide the "Incidental Use for Schools Fact Sheet" and pesticide instruction and training to non-licensed school personnel.
  • Maintain the current pesticide labels and material safety data sheets (MSDS) for the products used.
  • Maintain a prioritized list of needed structural and landscape improvements.
  • Ensure that the pest control proposal specifications are compatible with the principles of IPM.
  • Ensure that pest control contractors work under guidelines of the district IPM policy; however, all persons involved in pest control must ensure that they follow school district guidelines.
  • Review and authorize the least hazardous, effective emergency treatments
Who must provide the written approval and justification for the use of a yellow category product?
Answer: The certified commercial applicator or the certified noncommercial applicator provides justification and approval to the IPM Coordinator. The IPM coordinator is responsible for maintaining a copy of these approvals for two years.
What other sources provide information concerning school IPM policies and programs?
Answer: We recommend "An Introduction to IPM in Schools: A Manual for Facilities Maintenance Professionals," Order No. B-6015, Texas Agrilife Extension Service, P.O. Drawer FS, College Station, TX 77841.
What categories of certification does the average certified applicator employed by a school district maintain?
Answer: Certified noncommercial applicators may be licensed in any of the seven categories available under SPCS rules. The categories are pest control, termite control, lawn and ornamental, structural fumigation, commodity fumigation, weed control and wood preservation. Most IPM coordinators are licensed in the pest category as well as lawn and ornamental and weed control.
Will most average to large school districts employ an individual primarily as an IPM coordinator?
Answer: This decision will be made by each individual school district.
Is this IPM policy to be filed with the SPCS?
Answer: No, the policy must be on file with the school district superintendent and IPM coordinator. We recommend that the policy be disseminated to all district employees to facilitate an effective IPM program.
Do these regulations apply to private schools and church schools? 
Answer: The integrated pest management program (IPM) only applies to public school districts. However, we encourage private and parochial schools to follow the IPM regulations.  Private and parochial schools must contract with a commercial pest control business or have an employee who is a noncommercial certified applicator to do pest control work.