Skip to content

Weights & Measures Devices
A wide variety of devices are inspected by TDA. Devices range from scales as small as those used by jewelers to those as large enough to weigh timber and coal transport vehicles. Liquefied petroleum gas meters used to fill small tanks for back yard grills and those used to fill storage tanks at businesses or homes are also inspected.


Businesses operating commercial scales and LPG meters, must register these devices with the Department annually.

Application Process
To register these devices, a company must submit an application to the Department and pay the appropriate fees. There are two ways to apply for a new Weights & Measures license:

eApply (Online Application)

    CLICK HERE to access the new online eApply site.

Traditional “Paper” Form (RWM 700 Weights & Measures Device Registration Certificate Application): 
    CLICK HERE to download the traditional “paper” form.

Renewal Process
The license is valid for one year from the date it is issued and must be renewed each year. 
There are two ways to renew a Weights & Measures license:

             Online Renewal      
    CLICK HERE to access the BRIDGE Online License Renewal Instructions.
      Paper Renewal  
              Refer to the renewal mailed to you. If you have questions call the Licensing Customer Service line, (877) 542-2474.  

NOTE: you will not be able to renew online for the following reasons:
- if your devices have changed (CLICK HERE to download RWM 701 Weights & Measures Device Certificate Change of Registration Information form.)
- if your business has moved or changed ownership (CLICK HERE to download RWM 700 Weights & Measures Device Registration Certificate Application.)

TDA Inspection

A business must prominently post the certificate of registration where it is in the consumers view.  If a device registration has been expired for more than one year, a new registration is required.

Consumer Information Stickers
Effective September 2011, the Texas Department of Agriculture made the transition from round inspection seals to the new consumer information stickers in an effort to provide better customer service and agency accessibility to the citizens of Texas. 
Consumer information stickers must be affixed to fuel pumps and on/near bulk meters, LPG meters and scales.  Replacement stickers may be ordered by submitting an RWM-707 form to the department with the appropriate fees. It is the responsibility of the facility to keep consumer information stickers for all devices at all times.
Device Complaints

Senate Bill 2119 in the 86th Legislature transferred responsibility for the Motor Fuels program from the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). TDA and TDLR have worked together to make sure that the transfer of the Motor Fuels program goes as smoothly as possible for consumers and licensees.

As of September 1, 2019:

·      To file a complaint about fuel quantity or fuel pump measurement, advertised price, or device registration, please visit the TDLR Complaints page. Learn about TDLR’s Complaint Investigation and Resolution process here:

·         To file a complaint about fuel quality, please visit the Texas Office of the Attorney General.

·         To report an environmental emergency, discharge, spill, or air release, such as leaky hoses, please call the State of Texas Spill-Reporting Hotline at 1-800-832-8224  24 hours a day. For more information, including links to rules, laws, technical assistance, waste management, and State Emergency Response Commission (SERC), please visit the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality website.

Additional Questions?

Please see the TDLR Motor Fuels webpage.