(800)-Tell-TDA
835-5832
Community Development Fund (CD)

Fund Name:

Community Development Fund

Fund Acronym:

CD

Description:

The Community Development Fund is the largest fund category in the TxCDBG Program. This fund is available on a biennial basis for funding through a competition in each of the 24 state planning regions. The scoring of the applications is shared between the state and the 24 Regional Review Committees (RRC) with the RRC having the predominate percentage of the total possible score.

Although most funds are used for Public Facilities (water/wastewater infrastructure, street and drainage improvements and housing activities), there are numerous other activities for which these funds may be used.

Eligible Applicants:

Eligible applicants are nonentitlement general purpose units of local government including cities and counties that are not participating or designated as eligible to participate in the entitlement portion of the federal Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG). Nonentitlement cities that are not participating in urban county programs through existing participation agreements are eligible applicants (unless the city’s population is counted towards the urban county CDBG allocation).

Nonentitlement cities are located predominately in rural areas and are cities with populations less than 50,000 thousand persons; cities that are not designated as a central city of a metropolitan statistical area; and cites that are not participating in urban county programs. Nonentitlement counties are also predominately rural in nature and are counties that generally have fewer than 200,000 persons in the nonentitlement cities and unincorporated areas located in the county.

Award Amounts

Application Minimum
Single Jurisdiction - $75,000
Multi-Jurisdiction - $75,000

Application Maximum
Single Jurisdiction - $800,000
Multi-Jurisdiction - $800,000

Evaluation and Selection

In each region, 12 local elected officials, appointed by the Governor, comprise the Regional Review Committees (RRC's), which share the application scoring process with CDBG staff. Information about RRCs may be found HERE, including guidebooks and related materials.

The RRC's score for the applications received under this fund constitutes 90% of the overall score, and the TxCDBG score (for such factors as past performance and prior funding) constitutes the remaining 10% of the total score.

For scoring information specific to your regional competition, see the current RRC Guidebook for your region.

2019-2020 CD Fund - State Scoring Clarification

Once applications are scored, applications within regional funding levels are recommended for approval.

All applicants must refer to the Community Development Fund Application Guide for complete details and information.

Community Development Fund scoring is governed by the provisions of the TxCDBG Action Plan.

***Update: 2019-2020 Community Development Fund – Application Deadline Extended***

TDA has extended the deadline to apply for the TxCDBG Community Development Fund. 

The revised application deadline is March 13, 2019.

***Revised audit requirements for communities impacted by Hurricane Harvey***

Additionally, due to the catastrophic damage caused by Hurricane Harvey and the resulting impact on some local governments, TxCDBG will accept a FY 2016 audit, in lieu of the required FY 2017 audit, for all TxCDBG fund applications until 8/31/19 if BOTH of the following conditions are met:

·         The applicant was covered by one of the Governor’s disaster declarations dated August 23, 2017-September 20, 2017; and

·         The applicant can document that the hurricane’s direct impact prevented the community from producing a FY2017 audit.

Applicants meeting these conditions must submit a copy of a FY 2016 audit (Independent Auditor’s Opinion letter preferred in lieu of the entire audit) AND document how the hurricane prevented the applicant from producing a FY 2017 audit with the fund’s application. Failure to produce a FY 2017 audit for non-hurricane related circumstances will NOT be accepted per the annual audit requirements of the application’s respective application guide.

The following counties are identified in the above referenced Gubernatorial Disaster Declarations:

Angelina, Aransas, Atascosa, Austin, Bastrop, Bee, Bexar, Brazoria, Brazos, Burleson, Caldwell, Calhoun, Cameron, Chambers, Colorado, Comal, DeWitt, Fayette, Fort Bend, Galveston, Goliad, Gonzales, Grimes, Guadalupe, Hardin, Harris, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson, Jim Wells, Karnes, Kerr, Kleberg, Lavaca, Lee, Leon, Liberty, Live Oak, Madison, Matagorda, Milam, Montgomery, Newton, Nueces, Orange, Polk, Refugio, Sabine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, San Patricio, Trinity, Tyler, Victoria, Walker, Waller, Washington, Wharton, Willacy, and Wilson counties.



Application and Guide: